Monday, September 13, 2010

The Vacation is Over: Rick is Back

A couple of Volkswagens left out a little too long by the ocean

I'm back....

Got back from Maine late Saturday. I have a ton of pictures but haven't had time to download them from the camera. The picture above I snapped with my Blackberry. I'll get my Volkswagen Beetle someday; these just weren't quite right for some reason.

I spent all day yesterday doing laundry, as well as some grocery shopping. The lawn needs to be mowed but I haven't been able to motivate myself to do it.

The vacation was great! We stayed at the same place that we did last year. And even booked it again for next. We love it up there. If it wasn't so far (5 hour drive), I'd seriously consider getting a vacation home in the area.

Speaking of vacation homes, on the way back we stopped in the Ogunquit area. There is a new seasonal-cottage development that we'd been meaning to see so we figured we'd stop in for a tour. Beautiful place. Cute little cottages with great amenities including a club house, several pools, workout room and much more. We were tempted to do it. It's not too far from downtown Ogunquit and would only be about an hour drive from home. It's a completely different area than Bar Harbor much more developed but still beautiful. I don't know. We probably won't buy, right now anyway, but it was still fun to look.

We had some great Mount Desert excursions. We learned all about George B. Dorr, the father of Acadia. We went on a couple of boat trips: saw a bald eagle and seals playing in the harbor. And of course plenty of hiking. The hardest was Mount Dorr which Bandit loved. Though afterward he was exhausted (as were we).

Vacation may be over but traveling is not. I have a GLBTA conference in upstate New York this week. I'll be leaving Wednesday and back on Friday. Then for Thanksgiving it's down to Florida to see my mother. After that nothing till April - which sees us in Florida again but this time for a Harry Potter visit to Universal studios and then to the west coast of Florida to visit Chris' family.

Now that I'm back I promise to visit my favorite blogs. While we had Internet access up there (the owner recently put in free wireless), we kept computer usage to a minimum.

Over and out...

Rick

P.S. Bandit says hello! Oh and wants to remind you that Wednesday is my birthday.

10 comments:

Lemuel said...

Well, here's an early wish for a happy birthday.
I never cared too much for lower coastal Maine. It was too commercial and crowded, although I also confess that Bar Harbor/Acadia was that way, too, on our last trip. Were I to do it, I would try to pick some spot far enough away from BH not to be crowded, but close enough that one could get to the park and and enjoy all that is there.
I'm happy to read that you had a good time again, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why you did not snatch up those old VW's.

Rick said...

Yeah, you're right. If I were to buy up there it probably wouldn't be Bar Harbor proper. The island of Mount Desert (which consists of Bar Harbor, the town of Mount Desert, Southwest Harbor and Tremont???) has some wonderful, quaint little villages with spectacular view. In fact, we don't stay in Bar Harbor (even though I always say we're going to "Bar Harbor"). We stay in the town of Mount Desert.

Thomas (Tom) Rimington said...

Happy early Birthday Rick! Virgos rule (Mine is Saturday)!!

Tom

Jabacue said...

Welcome back Rick! Yes, isn't Maine a great place to take a vacation. We love it too especially the coast route #1. Oh, have a Happy Birthday on Wednesday!
Jim

Michael Rivers said...

Welcome back!! Hope you have a great week. :-)

Peter said...

So, now you need a rest from your vacation, don't you?

tornwordo said...

Happy happy! I want to take a week next summer in Ogunquit. 2 days was not enough. Buying always sounds intriguing, but like timeshares, I suspect I'd rue the decision not long after.

Life with Kaishon said...

Happy Birthday one day early! : )
It sounds like you had an awesome vacation. I flippin' LOVE that picture of the volkeswagons. Laughed out loud about something not seeming quite right to you about them.

Thanks so much for visiting. Would love to get to know you better : )

Love, Becky

Ur-spo said...

Happy birthday, honey!
I am glad you are my blogger buddy.

Rick said...

@Tom -- virgos rule indeed!

@Jim -- Maine is great...would love to have a place there.

@Michael -- thank you!

@Peter -- no rest for the weary.

@Tornwordo -- let me know when you're in Ogunquit. I'll meet you for a drink...or three.

@Becky -- now that you know where to find me there's no excuse. Thank you!

@Spo -- thanks sweetie!