Sunday, October 24, 2010

Doing Better...Some of Us!

So Bandit seems to be doing better. He's back to his energetic self. I took him to the veterinarian on Thursday. Her conclusion was that he had a bad reaction to the new flea and tick medicine, First Shield Trio, that I gave to him Monday night. She's said she's heard of a couple of situations with little dogs that the pesticide in it can have side effects that actually numb the skin. She thinks it got into his nervous system and effected his joints. This would make sense. He could barely move and kept licking his paws. Regardless, I won't be using that crap anymore. I'll go back to BioSpot in the off season and Frontline or K-9 Advantix in the high season. Too bad because I just spent $75 for a couple months supply - no returns.

So that's Bandit's story. Me on the other hand...

On Tuesday I pulled my back out by, of all things, sitting on the bar stool at our kitchen counter. I lifted my butt in just the wrong spot. It didn't hurt too much when it happened, just a little uncomfortable. But as the day progressed it got worse and as the days go on I'm acting more like a 78 year old cripple. Yesterday while grocery shopping I placed a jar of salsa in the carriage and ZING - a sharp pain right up my back. It knocked the wind out of me. I grabbed on to the carriage and yelled out "Son of a bitch!" A clerk walking by reached out to me, "are you alright?" Chris answered for me: "It's just his back. He won't go to the doctor."

Tomorrow, if it's not much better, I'm calling my chiropractor. Maybe he can crack it back together. What is my primary care going to do? He'll just tell me to rest, take Advil and ice it - all of which I have been doing. Well...except for the resting part.

12 comments:

Peter said...

Maybe you can use as a pain relief some of Bandits First Shield Trio as it numbs the back! As a side effect you won't have flees. ;)

Rick said...

Peter -- that's not a bad idea. I just may do that!

Lemuel said...

LOL@Peter!
Before the current types of anti flea meds (long ago) we used a spray by Hartz on our dog. It killed the fleas - but I think it also did in our dog. She was never the same after.
I have used both Frontline and Advantix on our last two dogs and it seems to work without adverse effect.
Back '95 I took three t-shirts out of a dryer and was laid up in bed for five days unable to move. I've suffered from back problems ever since (not nearly as severe though). I hope you have relief soon!!

Rick said...

Thanks Lemuel! The oddest things can really trip your back up. I don't think we are appropriately designed to bipedal.

Charles said...

I hope you start feeling better too Rick. Take care of yourself!

Ur-spo said...

our pooch had the same reaction!

What you need is stretching and pampering.

Rick said...

@Charles -- thanks man...I'm doing better than I was yesterday. One day at a time I guess.

Rick said...

@Spo - same reaction...weird. I don't trust that stuff.

I pampered myself and stretched yesterday and do feel better...still not 100% but getting there.

Greg said...

Back pain is terrible! I threw mine out in college reaching for a slice of pizza from the box on the floor.

Good to read that Bandit's doing fine.

Nan said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Rick, Retired in Alaska. Hey I've done this to my back more than once, seems it's just ready to go and it does. Takes about 6 weeks for them to completely heal no matter what you do for it, not the best news I know.
I do hope your little Bandit is better and you have found out what the problem is. My son has a Cairn and a prior very beloved one who passed away and I think he still feels the loss. Nan

CJ/Rick said...

Poor Bandit. I use Sentinel for my girls and it's not cheap either. I haven't ever noticed any side effects.
Hope your back is better. I hurt mine as a young man and have had several bouts with it in my lifetime. I eventually found out I had a perforated disc but who doesn't?
I've thrown mine by sneezing, gagging brushing my teeth(seriously-I was brushing my teeth),jumping on my bed belly first,hanging wallpaper. Hang in there. But a chiropractor? Have you seen Jacob's Ladder starring Tim Robbins?

Rick said...

@Greg - a slice of pizza hope it was worth it!

@Nan - I hope it's not 6 weeks...ugh! Cairns are great dogs!

@CJ/Rick - the craziest of things can really throw your back for a loop. Never seen Jacob's Ladder - now I don't know if I should.

The Daily Puppy