Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gap Analysis

I am officially off for the rest of the year. I don't go back till January 3rd. This is a great time to catch up on things I've procrastinated on, finish up preparations for Christmas and plan for the new year.

In the procrastination camp my efforts shall be on completing the final edits to the later half of my book. For some reason I work better with the printed page. Whether it be work documents or a 300 page novel, I feel better when I can hold it in my hands, mark it up with comments and carry it around with me. Microsoft Word and other software programs have gone to great efforts to try and replicate all this but I guess I'm old fashion. (That being said, if Santa's reading, I wouldn't be disappointed with the new Nook reader or iPad.) I had my book printed at Staples and have red-lined way too much already and am only half done.

As for Christmas preparations, I still got some work to do but like most things knowing what you need to do is half the battle. I have a list of the last few gifts I need to buy, the food we need to order and have a closet filled with presents to wrap. (I love this time of year...it's so exciting!)

The only people left to buy for are the people that deliver the newspapers (got the dog walkers' gifts out yesterday), the mail lady and one or two others. Chris and I set up budgets for our buying for one another: I went over by 40%. (Shhh, don't tell. He's too busy to read this post before Christmas to find out.)

Planning for the new year consists of both professional and personal goals. It's the time of year at the office when our self-assessments are due. So I spend a good amount of time pouring over my notes and calendars to capture all that I accomplished by way of projects. Then looking at where I need to be in the coming year, as well as about five years out, I fill in the gaps with goals on getting there. I do this from both personal and professional perspectives. I find a lot of the time I spend on this is just being introspective: going for a ride, parking at the beach with a notebook and a cup of coffee. I do my best thinking in the car.

Well, onto that time off I've been talking about. As my time off proceeds, I'll be sure and post here and there on smatterings of stuff.

7 comments:

Peter said...

The long awaited book, it makes me restless of what's in it.

Jabacue said...

Rick, looks like you guys are pretty much set for the holidays. You are so organized! Could learn from you.Here's to a great week!
Jim

A Lewis said...

Here's a raised glass to you boys this holiday!

Ur-spo said...

You sound 'well prepared' for the upcoming events; I envy you your time off as well !

Lemuel said...

Enjoy the excitement and the business of the season!

CJ/Rick said...

Enjoy your time off. I hope it's productive and festive.

Jason, as himself said...

Publish that book! I'll take an autographed copy.