Sunday, January 23, 2011

Again with the Snow...Enough of the Snow!

Rumor has it this week we're supposed to get walloped with another 1 to 2 feet of snow. At this point we are already well over the amount we usually get for an entire season and we still have 3 more months to go.

If we get another inch of snow, on my street, there will be no place for the plows to put it. I'm at the bottom of a dead end. The snow pile from the city trucks is now encroaching my driveway, anymore and I won't be able to get out.

Heap of Snow in Front of My House

If it hadn't been for me shoveling out a path to the storm drain we would have about two feet of water in last week's freezing rain storm. Poorly designed, the only storm drain for my street is at the very bottom where the snow trucks pile all the snow. No fault to them, it's the only place they can put it. Normally carving this out, as I do with the fire hydrant, is not too bad; I just shovel out a little path so that the rain and melting snow can go some place. Well this year, the normal 2-3 foot path is literally 20 feet long. Here's a picture below and this is not a sidewalk; it's the street with the storm drain near the yellow pole.

Path to the Storm Drain

Despite today getting to a high of 9 degrees (Fahrenheit), thoughts of warmer weather to come (I hope) will get me through the rest of the winter.

19 comments:

Jim said...

Yes Rick, think warm, positive thoughts!!!! It is freezing here now but not much snow....I'll pay for that comment I'm sure!
Hang in there. You are not alone!

D@vid said...

Hi Rick... thanks for visiting my blog (anothermilemarker.blogspot.com) and leaving a comment. When I opened your blog up and saw your dog's picture, I almost cried. My Cairn, Shelby, died a few years ago but she looked exactly like yours... I'll have to send you a picture... email me... pittguy2008@comcast.net. See, there is a reason why people are connected. David

Lemuel said...

That's gotta be a pain having to dig out the storm drain, but you are well aware of the alternatives. But again, that sucks.

sophie...^5 said...

only 1.5 months to go before the flowers start popping through...really!

SnowJoe said...

Sorry to break this to you, but more snow in the forecast!

Make sure you shovel out the hydrant for Bandit to use, he's running prtty low to the ground :)

Ron said...

I loved the snow when I was a kid, SNOW DAY! But now? NOOOOOOOO! Thank God we missed this latest storm. Now I hear another is on its way. I feel for you Rick. When I lived in PA we usually had snow on the ground from December to March. It sucks big time. But look at the alternative. A former high school classmate (and friend) of mine lives in Ft. Lauderdale complains that he would LOVE to see some snow. How would you like to see palm trees year round? Boring.

Greg said...

Geez! Will the snow never end?! Drink lots of hot chocolate and wrap up under a nice blanket in front of the fireplace. Make sure Bandit's plenty warm, too!!

Rick said...

@Jim - I'll be happy to pay it forward (up the coast to you!)

@David - Glad you stopped by

@Lemuel - Necessary evil

@Sophie - I can't wait to see flowers!

@SnowJoe - yup, always get the hydrant

@Ron - funny how things changes when we get older; I agree palm trees 365 days a year would be boring

@Greg - I shall take your advice

H A R R Y G O A Z said...

Super blog. I am a fan of the Bandit Unit!!!

A Lewis said...

Dear lord, can you guys get back to the humid, bug-infested dog days of hot summer......

Ur-spo said...

Send some of that our way whydontcha.

Rick said...

@Harry - thanks for stopping by!

@Arnie - bugs. On second thought maybe I'll keep the snow.

@Spo - what a great idea, Arizonians would love it!

CJ/Rick said...

Good grief. I know you're getting tired of that. It was another rainy and chilly weekend here hovering around 50 degrees. I've been bitching cause I planted winter rye and need to mow. But compared to shoveling snow I guess it's not so bad. Hang in there. The days are getting longer.

Rick said...

@CJ - 50 degrees! No comment.

Stephen said...

Does Bandit like the snow?
We have had no snow this year in Portland, Oregon. Dogs here, mine included, seem to like to frolic when it snows, but probably not in a blizzard. My 2 terriers do not like to go out in the cold. The are "princesses".

tornwordo said...

This is how I felt two years ago. And it looks like there`s more coming your way in a few days. Courage!

RG said...

At least you're living in the 'burbs. I on the other hand live in Boston proper and talk about no place to put the snow!

But like true New Englanders, we will do what we always do: bitch about the winter and get on with life. LOL

Look at it this way: it make the Spring and Summer all the more sweet. Now, don't loose Bandit in the snow drifts!

Charles said...

I feel for you Rick! Seems like the east coast has just been hammered this winter. We have snow on ground here but nothing like you have.

Rick said...

@Torn - why don't you keep it? You Canadians and your arctic blow! : )

@RG - I guess there is truth to 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'

@Charles - wanna switch?