Saturday, January 01, 2011

First of 2011

It wouldn't be right without starting the first post of the new year by wishing you all a happy new year so...Happy New Year!

Okay, now that that's out of the way I thought I'd take a few moments to describe how I rang it in. It could all be described in one word,quiet, but that wouldn't make for an interesting blog post now would it?

Yesterday we didn't get out of the house till around 2:00 p.m. Chris spent most of the time either cleaning or watching TV while I spent it writing. Finally around 1:00 we showered and got ready to head out. Off to see the 3:00 showing of Chronicles of Narnia III. I have to say at first I was not all that jazzed up about going to see it but Chris wanted to so I decided (despite my choice of The Black Swan) to go. But I'm glad I did - what a lot of fun. I loved this movie! It was adventurous, funny and even made me cry at the end (but I'm easy that way). The new Eustace character was phenomenal - a great little actor and very funny. Also, King Caspian (Ben Barnes) is quite a looker. Holy crap!

Coincidentally I just happened upon this (I had no idea) interesting scene from another of ones Ben Barnes' movies, Dorian Gray. Looks like I'll be adding this to my rental queue.


After the movie, we headed back to the house to feed and walk the Bandito. As always he was thrilled to see us, not that we were really gone all that long. He screamed and yelled for his food and short walk. Short because the streets are still kind of a mess from the storm so walking can be difficult. A lot of the sidewalks aren't cleared; half the time you have to walk in the middle of the street dodging traffic, not fun. Plus there's a lot of salt on the roads which stings his paws. (For those of you southerners who don't know any better, trucks drive around all our streets putting down a mixture of rock salt and dirt on most of the roads to help prevent icing and allow cars better traction. It makes a mess but otherwise it would be a complete sh#t show around here.)

At 8:00 we had reservations at this small little restaurant the next town over. They were completely packed and out of everything. I usually get a gorgeous sirloin but they were out so I opted for the filet mignon which was probably the biggest filet I've ever had yet took forever to come out. As did our french onion soups which weren't as good as normal. I think they were all just too stressed out over the amount of people. Though with reservations you think they would have been better prepared. Oh well we still enjoyed ourselves.

By the time we were done we were ready for bed. I plopped in front of the TV to watch Dick Clark (which by the way is getting a little pathetic - I think he should just turn it over to Seacrest and be done with it) and fell asleep by the fire.

So, that's my exciting way of bringing in the new year. Did you enjoy yours?

I'd like to re-post a couple of entries I wrote the beginning of 2010.  They happen to be my favorites of the past year. As we broach a new year (and decade) it's always fun to look back.

8 comments:

Lemuel said...

We had a quiet NYE here as usual. About 10 min before midnight (I was actually still awake!), I turned the TV over to the show with Seacrest. To be honest, I never cared for Dick Clark, but pathetic just isn't strong enough. He needs to let go. I grew up with my parents watching Guy Lombardo. They thought it was the end of the world and that there would never be another New Years when he was gone. Life went on without him. Clark needs to learn the same lesson.

Jabacue said...

Will have to check out THAT movie!
We had a very very quiet NY Eve and are looking forward to 2011! All the best to you and Chris.
Jim

Ron said...

Wow! THAT movie (Dorian Gray-The Kiss) is next on my Netflix queue. When I have to fan myself this early in the morning after watching a scene like that, that's a movie that goes in my queue!
Man oh man, what is the deal with Dick Clark? I watched him gargle through something, I don't know what. It's over Dick. Let it go.
My best to you and Chris and the Bandito this year!

Peter said...

I think you'll like 'Dorian Gray' and not just for Ben Barnes.

Greg said...

Our New Years celebration was quite, also. Two friends over for some food and game time on the Wii. That's about it.

I want to see Narnia, but will probably wait until it appears at either the cheap theater or on DVD.

Ur-spo said...

I enjoyed Narnia -3. I hope they will do #4 although I can not imagine them doing the later book.

the cajun said...

The restaurant where I work was booked solid for NYE - even part of the lunch shift. We were packed all day.

My boss has it all down to a science and we didn't run out out anything on the regular menu or the special on he created for the evening. A good time was had by all.

Me? I was at home far from the madding crowd, enjoying a cocktail and a couple of documentaries via HULU.

No fireworks around here, so Bandit would have been comfortable.

Happy New Year.

sophie...^5 said...

Bandit...and short walks...New years resolution>>>Bandit and longer walks! Sounds perfect to me! Gotta look out for my 4 legged friends, right. Cheers!