Monday, February 28, 2011

Here I Am

I've been remiss in blogging as of late. Whether it be posting here or reading my friend's blogs I've been much too busy to spend much time writing posts and comments. It makes no never mind; here I am.

Alas, my journey has been a long one. I spent all day Saturday at a PFLAG workshop to get "certified" (if you would) to speak in front of middle and high school children on being gay. (Oh, yes in case you didn't know - I am gay.) Saturday's travels to Waltham (about 45 minutes to an hour away - I don't know how Chris does it every day) was tiring on several accounts: 1. The traveling, getting up early to be there for 8:00 a.m. and 2) (more importantly) the emotional drain. Watching others tell their stories, whether it be their coming out experience or their child's pain or the parent's anguish wiped me out. I got home, sat on the chair in front of the television and fell asleep at 8:30 p.m. While an exhausting day it was well worth it.

I was supposed to got to Chris' nephew's birthday party but after being approached, at work, about this workshop and recently talking to an old high school friend whose son happens to be gay I felt this was the more important thing to do. Chris, and his family, understood.

Equally exhausting, yet in a different way, is the rejection I have received, from a couple of agents, in seeking representation for my book. I know it's all part of the process and one has to "get used to it" and that even the best have all been rejected but it's daunting nonetheless.

I spent a couple hours, on the phone, with Phyllis (as she is good at all this stuff) reviewing my synopsis. I struggle in condensing 493 pages into a couple of paragraphs whilst maintaining the elements which make it good (at least I think it's good...someone has to!).

Anyway, to bed early again last night and up at 4:30 this morning. Busy week. Please feel free to comment, I'll stop by and visit soon. I promise!

www.gbplfag.org

14 comments:

the cajun said...

Good on you! I did the very same thing in NJ during the 80s and early 90s. Draining? Absolutely. Rewarding? Absolutely.

Once you get going, you'll be glad you did this.

Jim said...

Must be a good feeling Rick to share with kids your experiences growing up gay. This is exactly what kids need (gay and straight) to see someone who has survived and living a good life. Good for you!

tornwordo said...

What a great way to contribute. Good luck on the publishing!

Ron said...

You're gay Rick? Uh, let me think about this. :)

Hey, thanks for contributing your time to teach kids about your experience growing up gay. I wish I had the opportunity to do so. I would jump at it.

Hanuman Das said...

Good for you! :)

Greg said...

Good for you, getting involved with PFLAG. We need to get more involved with the community around here.

Rick said...

@Cajun - your right on all 3 accounts

@Jim - kids do need this

@Torn - thanks man!

@Ron - yup sorry to break it to ya

@Hanuman - thanks!

@Greg - it's a great organization

Steven said...

Sounds like the Saturday workshop was quite an experience...hopefully it was one that you learned from as well. Good luck with the publishing and keep plugging along.

It's coincidental that you happened to speak about PFLAG after I just noticed this morning that the local chapter has a link to my church's website.

CJ/Rick said...

Sounds as if you're keeping busy. That's generous of you to get involved in such a program.
Keep your head up and try not to get discouraged.

Rick said...

@Steven - it was a great experience

@CJ/Rick - head's held high!

Ron said...

I'm shattered Rick. Shattered I tells ya!

Karen said...

Hi. I read your blog a lot but I don't know if I've ever commented.
Anyway... I am a school librarian. There is lots and lots of talk about selfpublishing eBooks. I don't know how, but you might want to investigate. I was just reading about a girl - Amanda Hocking, I believe - who has written a number of books that are all eBooks. Just a thought.

Maddog said...

Hey there. Haven't heard from you in a while, so wanted to stop by and say that I was thinking of you.

Sounds like you have been busy and distracted which are good things.

Miss you.

Charlie said...

Awesome, I think it's great that you're willing to speak to teens about what it means to be gay and how to get through those teenage years. Best of luck on publishing!