Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Random May Rantings

Hello there! Just a random, quick update...

Saturday's charity event went well. Prior to it - I neglected to mention the other day - we raised over $1,500 by having a jean's day at the office. For a donation of $5 you get to wear jeans and sneakers. My colleagues will do anything to wear comfortable clothes to the office.

Sunday I got the lawn mowed. I'm a little concerned about some yellow patches that were hidden underneath the thick grass. Perhaps it's from the initial fertilization - too much in a couple of spots. Oh well, hopefully it will grow out.

Dairy Witch, our favorite ice cream shop, is now opened. We stopped last night. I got my usual chocolate and vanilla twist (soft serve) in a cone with chocolate jimmies. We call them jimmies; other parts of the country call them sprinkles. Someone once told me "jimmies" was a racist term. I don't buy it.

Dairy Witch, Salem, MA - Capitalizing on the Witch Theme

Oh, in other news, my manuscript over at the Harper-Collins site started in position ~4,500 and is now 293! Everyday it moves up the ranks, closer to the editor's desk. I'm excited about it.

Well other than that not much to report. Over and out...

14 comments:

BosGuy said...

My former employer did "jeans Friday's" as well where you gave $5 to wear jeans on a Friday. Anyone who participated could suggest a personal charity and at the end of each month there would be a drawing of all eligible charities for that month's monies to be donated.

Jim said...

We call them 'jimmies' too here in the Maritimes. Actually they were named after me....Jimmie! lol
I loved wearing jeans on Friday! Strange eh?

Gay Guy said...

Yeah, "jimmies" is regional. I grew up with "sprinkles." Jimmies is much more butch. Thank God.

Ur-spo said...

I am mildly surprised no one has taken offense to the 'Witch' ad as a front for satanism. people are so sensitive these days.

Peter said...

So they put a spell on you, chocolate/vanilla Witches Ice-cream! ;)

Mark said...

Racist!!!
Just kidding. I couldn't care less. Just give me some ice-cream.
Your Friend, m.

Rick said...

@BosGuy - great way to raise money

@Jim - ah, so we're not alone

@GayGuy - I like butch

@Spo - you can't go a block in Salem without a witch sign...even the police cars have it as their logo

@Peter - no wonder I can't go without

@Mark - I with you

Greg said...

"Jimmies", "sprinkles" . . . they all taste good. And congrats about the manuscript moving up the ranks!

Rick said...

@Greg - thanks for the congrats!

CJ/Rick said...

Oh I used to love those half and half cones then dipped in chocolate that would form a hard shell. But I never had one with sprinkles.
Upward and onward for your manuscript!

Ron said...

That reminds me, I have a ton of old jeans to auction on eBay. They have seen a lot of action (in the 70's and 80's). If jeans could talk.

Mike said...

You remind me it's now officially "ice cream" season. Dairy Witch, Dairy Queen -- whatever. Here i come!

Summer said...

We called them Jimmys as a kid, now I hear no one call them that, just sprinkles. I asked my son who works at Ben & Jerry's and he says once in a while an old timer will ask for Jimmys.

cb said...

Oooo, a manuscript? What's it about??