Monday, August 29, 2011

No More Irene!

All is fine here in post-hurricane land. We managed to get by with little more than a bunch of leaves strewn about the yard. So much so it looks like fall instead this time the leaves are still green.

I think the worst of the storm was actually before and after it hit. Saturday, when Irene was approaching North Carolina, at one point, it was raining so hard here that the water was coming up to the basement windows. I was concerned thinking if we had to deal with 24 hours of this we'd surely have a flooded basement. But luckily it was a passing downpour of 2 inches in one hour; the rest of the weekend we barely got 2 additional inches which over time the ground quickly absorbed. Gratefully no flooding.

Sunday morning while she broached New York City we had a lightning strike nearby. I thought for sure it was my house. The whole house lit up and a huge clap of thunder immediately followed. It was so loud it sounded like a bomb went off. Luckily no loss of electricity or anything. After that, my neighbor said her cats were going to need therapy.

Other than being a little antsy from needing to stay in so much, Bandit weathered the storm like a trooper.

Last night as Irene headed into Canada the wind gusts were incredible. But nothing worse than what we get during a blizzard.

So all in all, for us, uneventful. In fact, during the height of the storm Chris and I went out shopping. Everything was open. CVS was having a good sale. You know me and my coupon bargains. I figured what an opportune time to pick up some extra (free) toothpaste whilst those extreme coupon queens were at home making chicken soup with last week's steal on broth. You should see my spare bedroom closet. It looks like a warehouse. I've got enough deodorant, contact lens solution, mouthwash and laundry detergent to last me at least a year.

Not to make light of the situation: There are people that were significantly impacted by Irene - in New England specifically western Massachusetts and Vermont. The west side of the storm dropped a ton of water; the floods alone were devastating. And Southern Massachusetts' coast saw some incredible ocean surge. Even in the Greater Boston area and North Shore there are downed trees and power lines.

Tropical Storm Irene Makes an Impact in Boston
(courtesy of Boston.com)

6 comments:

Ron said...

Good news Rick! I'm glad to hear that Irene didn't cause any damage in your neighborhood. It was a scary time though wasn't it? We had over twelve hours of CONTINUOUS wind and rain. We were ready to evacuate (in fact we were under mandatory evacuation but Bill and I decided to stay) at a moment's notice. I am so glad Irene is gone and we can get back to living a normal life again. I'm off to the store (sans coupons) this morning. Have a great day!

Greg said...

Glad that all of you weathered the storm in one piece

Ur-spo said...

I read most of my blogger buddies are doing OK; I am glad you are among them.

the cajun said...

Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscathed. No shopping here. Everything was in lockdown mode by order of the Governor. Smart move, too.

Peter said...

Good to know you're alright and not much damage to the property.

BosGuy said...

I took a picture of myself on the stump of that tree in Union Park the other night. We weathered the storm pretty easily - spending a chunk of our day on Sunday at a 'hurricane party'... was really a great way to pass the time. Glad to read all is good with you and there was no significant damage.