Tuesday, September 06, 2011

September 11th Tribute

As the tenth anniversary of 9/11/01 approaches, the events of that day and its lasting effect has been on the forefront of my mind as of late, as I'm sure it has been for a lot of you. While I didn't know anyone directly involved in the events, it's impact upon me were still profound.

In January 2001, I recently purchased my first home. My partner, at the time, and I had spent the spring and summer fixing it up. For Labor Day that year my brother came up from Florida to spend the week with us. By vocation, I was consulting at various law firms and just finished a three week stint in D.C. rolling out a new document management system. I had September 11th off.

Just after 9 a.m. my partner, at work, called the house phone to tell me about a some rumors he had heard about a plane crash in New York City. Things were a bit fuzzy and he wasn't sure if it was true. After hanging up the phone, I went into the living room. For some reason, my brother was sleeping on the couch instead of the guest bed. I woke him by putting on the television. We sat glued to it for the next few hours. At first we thought it was a commuter plane. Then realizing it was a jet we were astonished yet we still thought it was an accident until the second tower was hit. At that point I remember saying to him, "welcome to world war three." I felt this was our Pearl Harbor.

A couple hours later my partner came home early from work. When he walked in the door we embraced and I began to cry.

It was the unknown that was so scary. It seemed like every hour there was another tragedy unfolding: the towers falling, another plane down, D.C. hit - where I had just been. I thought about my colleagues still at the firm, the view of the twin towers that I had from my room at NYU, the bomb scares we had from the first world trade tower bombing in 1993.

While 9/11 left a lasting impression upon me, I can't imagine being directly impacted like the people in this video, a view from the people at the departure gate.


How has 9/11 impacted you?

6 comments:

Stew said...

It was a day that changed our world. Thanks for that video and your own personal story.

Peter said...

After 9/11 the whole world changed. All the American security measures have an effect on us Europeans too. The only difference is we don't get as 'mad' as they do.

IF someone wants to hurt others, there are many ways to do it. Of course I hope it doesn't happen in our time.

CJ/Rick said...

It doesn't seem like it has been ten years and it didn't seem real that day. I hope nothing like it happens again.

Ur-spo said...

that was touching tribute.

New Canaan Curtains said...

never forget!

Bosguy said...

Hi Rick,
Apologies to put this on your post. Feel free to delete it, but I wanted to ask if you'd update my link on your blogroll.

I decided to leave blogger and now am on wordpress. My new address is www.bosguy.com.

Thank you,
BosGuy