Saturday, December 31, 2011

Ending the Year

I thought it appropriate to end the year with an acknowledgement of events past as well as a look forward into next year  yet when I got around to writing it, I really didn't feel like listing out a bunch of accomplishments and tribulations nor did I want to focus on national/international events.  Boring.   Besides you can find all that stuff elsewhere.  For all my stuff, you can just view my Facebook Timeline and for world events your choices are limitless, especially around this time of year.

Instead I leave you with this:  I think 2011 was a great year!  Sure one could say, 'Rick, of course it was good.  For you! Look at you?  You've got nice things, a nice life.  You've got life made.'  But I don't look at it like that way.  While I'm grateful for all I have, isn't any year good when you're still breathing and living healthy? Not to be all smarmy about it but that's just how I look at life.  Sure there are things to dwell on that are not to one's liking but - not to be a Pollyanna and new age about it - but I find focusing on the half-full side of the glass is not only more fun but actual creates your successes. 

There's so much good out there. Life's full of it!  Am I always positive?  Of course not, I'm human but  I do look to catch myself in those negative thoughts.  Why waste a moment on something you don't want?

For work, as I do every year, I had to set my 2012 goals which reminded me of a quote I once read.  I paraphrase:  Don't try to accomplish your goals.  For example, trying to lose weight.  Instead be your goal.  Health.  You can't "try" to do something.  You can't "try" to write a paragraph, pick up a pen, wash the dishes.  You just do it.  Imagine someone "trying" to lift a button off a table.  Picture it.  What does that look like?  I see struggling.  Instead you just pick it up.

Happy New Year!  And may you have the best-est, healthiest, most prosperous, extremely fulfilling and happiest year of them all!


12 comments:

Jim said...

Totally agree with your message, Rick! A good way to end the old year and begin the new one.

Happy New Year!

BosGuy said...

Rick - I agree with you and loved the post. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2012.

BosGuy

Peter said...

You're so right with that quote. best wishes to you, Chris and Bandit.

Sean said...

Happy 20112!

I agree with you but do it differently. I don't make resolutions I set measurable, attainable goals. The influence of THE ONE MINUTE MANAGER yet again.

Stew said...

Perseption really does effect your reality. I know too many people that perceive their lives to be bad and it perpetuates. Too bad they can't see it.

Ur-spo said...

thank you for letting me be part of your 2011
I hope your 2012 is even better than 2011!

Jason, as himself said...

My little brother always says, well if you can't try, then just try to try. Cracks me up every time, but I agree with you about just doing it. Either you do it, or you don't.

Have a wonderful 2021, Rick!

A Lewis said...

Happy New Year!

Ron said...

Happy New Year to you too Rick! Like you I'm happy every day when I wake up in the morning and realize I'm here for another day and I can put both feet on the floor and begin my mischief for the day.

CJ/Rick said...

I feel the same about 2011 and I'm reasonably optimistic about 2012.
Happy New Years to you. I love visiting just to see Bandit's banner pic.

BosGuy said...

Rick - how are you surviving? 2012 off to a good start for you?

Peter said...

I've the feeling your down south enjoying the Florida sun, while the rest of us are shivering. ;)